This year’s NAHA show was attended by a record number of more than 3,000 guests and was also seen worldwide via live online streaming broadcast on HairDesignerTV by an additional 40,000.
Five Artistic Presentations
Eli Mancha, 2011 Hairstylist of the Year, was invited to present an artistic presentation of his choosing. As a platform artist and educator in his own right, Mancha knows the artistry of hair. His high energy presentation was themed Sinners & Saints.
P&G Salon Professional
Including the industry’s top young talent from some of the most celebrated brands, this artistic presentation featured stylists representing the P&G Salon Professional brands. With high-energy and amazing creativity, this artistic presentation truly celebrated what NAHA is all about. ( Fabio Sementilli dubbed 2012 as the year to “Enter or Mentor”. )
Cloud Nine Hair USA
Mixing high fashion with modern edge, Cloud Nine’s creative team showcased looks from their newest collection while captivating the NAHA audience with one of their first runway shows in the United States.
Featuring past NAHA winners and Aveda Artistic Directors, Janell Geason and Allen Ruiz, along with Aveda Artist Directors for Haircolor and Haircutting, Ian Michael Black and Richardo Dinis; these amazing stylists mixed cutting edge, couture style and high performance skill as Aveda brought sustainable, raw beauty into the future.
Tribute to Vidal Sassoon
To celebrate the life of the icon who has done so much to advance the art and profession of hairstyling, the Professional Beauty Association (PBA) planned a special tribute that honored Sassoon’s work and legacy.
Avant Garde- Nicholas French
Contemporary Classic- Dimitrios Tsioumas
Editorial Stylist – Neeko Abriol
Hairstylist of the Year-Dimitrios Tsioumas
Makeup- Jeanne San Diego
Master Stylist of the Year-Edwin Johnston
Newcomer- Sal Misseri
Salon Design- Square Colour Salon + Spa
Salon MBA- Gila Rut Salons
Salon Team- Lunatic Fringe Salon
Student Hairstylist of the Year-Cassandra Monteyro
People’s Choice-Nick Hemsley
2013 Category and Rule Changes
During the NAHA ceremony there was a brief mention of the newest category, “Men’s Hairstylist of the Year” which will honor a stylist who displays the most proficiency in the designs and techniques used in men’s styling and grooming. Entrants in this category must master current men’s commercial, contemporary and wearable styling trends.
Also, 2013 brings a change in the Makeup Artist of the Year category which will no longer be a nomination only category. Our favorite change is definitely the modification of “Post Production” work. No matter your views on photoshop, photographers or even NAHA… I think we can all agree that limiting the photoshop only enhances the credibility of this prestigious competition.
The use of Photoshop, and all other similar programs, in ALL hair categories may be used on the models face, skin, background and wardrobe Photoshop may only be used on the hair for esthetic and refining purposes. (i.e. removing an errant hair) but it cannot be used to create, enhance or manipulate a look. While the use of hairpieces is allowed in certain categories, you cannot use Photoshop, or similar programs, to create hair either in part or in its entirety.
The use of Photoshop, or similar programs, in the Makeup category is limited to the background, wardrobe and hair. Photoshop cannot be used on the model’s face. If you have an image that is being entered in Makeup along with a hair category, Photoshop rules for Makeup and Hair will apply to those images.
All entries will be required to provide an “unedited” image along with their final images. These images will be used for judging purposes only and will not be used for any other reasons or published. NAHA defines an unedited image as an image that has not been modified in any way. Unedited images can be a snapshot from the photo shoot or an image from your photographer that has yet to be edited. If your category rules require you to provide a before and after photo you will still be required to provide the unedited images.
CosmoProf North America 2012 Fast Facts
- Cosmoprof North America, which was held at the Mandalay Bay Convention Center from July 22 – 24, featured 856 exhibiting companies to a sold out show floor along with over 25,000 attendees representing a 9% increase to the year before that included importers, distributors, manufactures, and global beauty leaders all under one roof.
- Celebrating 10 years in Las Vegas, this year’s show boasted the highest attendance and participation.
- CPNA attracted many new and innovative brands in addition to industry leaders such as AHAVA, CONAIR, CND, Essie / L’Oreal Professional, Moroccan Oil, OPI Nail, Orly, RUSK, Schwarzkopf, and Zotos International.
- The International Buyer Program, sponsored by UNIPRO, the Italian Association of Cosmetic Industries, once again united buyers and sellers around the world with the resources, contacts, and data to build business partnerships.
- Discover Beauty, an exclusive initiative of CPNA, assists emerging brands in finding the appropriate retail market, while highlighting new trends. The one-on-one meetings with prominent retailers like BeautySage.com, C.O. Bigelow, Duane Reade, Henri Bendel, HSN, Nordstrom, Skins 6|2 and Zappos aim to give Discover Beauty brands critiques and feedback. The program returned this year with 15 brands competing for the prestigious Discover Beauty Award.
- The 2012 Discover Beauty Award winner is Layla Cosmetics from Italy, fusing together the latest technology and Italian fashion influence, Layla Cosmetics has been creating trend setting and cutting edge nail products from Milan for over 70 years.
- Staying connected during the show was easier than ever this year. Attendees and exhibitors could “check in” via Foursquare and view show specials as well as download the new CPNA Smartphone App, which helped attendees find their favorite exhibitors and other companies. Guests could also scan the new CPNA QR Code that featured exclusive show promotions and tips from CPNA show organizers.
- Cosmoprof North America 2013 will take place July 14 – 16 at the Mandalay Bay Convention Center in Las Vegas. For more information on exhibiting or attending, please visit cosmoprofnorthamerica.com or call 800-557-3356.
Will you be attending NAHA 2013? What do you think about the modified Photoshop rules?